A Nashville man is being held in another state after an accident last weekend that left one person dead and three others injured. Authorities are recommending that the Tennessee resident be charged with driving while intoxicated, motor vehicle homicide and two counts of serious injury. The 31-year-old defendant insists the accident was not his fault.
Officials say the crash occurred in the Omaha area at about 1:30 a.m. on Friday. They claim that the defendant was driving on the wrong side of the road in a van when he collided with a sedan carrying four teenagers. All four of the teens were hospitalized but a 17-year-old passenger was later declared dead.
According to one media report on the accident, the defendant declared from incarceration that he had been drinking, but he said he is not at fault. He says he everything happened very fast, but he says he saw the lights of the other vehicle and attempted to swerve out of the way.
In addition to the very serious homicide and injury charges related to this case of suspected DUI, police are alleging that the 31-year-old suspect was driving without a license or insurance at the time of the accident. At last word he was reportedly being held pending the posting of a bond of 10 percent of $65,000.
The accusations being leveled against this man are definitely serious. One key observation we would make in regard to this matter is how important it is for anyone charged with such crimes to exercise their right to remain silent and to contact an attorney immediately so that the process of assembling the best possible defense can get started.
Source: WOWT.com, "Alleged Drunk Driver Says Fatal Crash Not His Fault," Alex Hassel and John Chapman, July 6, 2013