Aggravated Assault Lawyer Nashville, TN
What Is Aggravated Assault in Tennessee?
Aggravated assault occurs when a person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes serious bodily injury to another person or uses or displays a deadly weapon in the commission of an assault. Note that you do not need to use the weapon, but only display it. A more serious charge than simple assault, aggravated assault also carries more significant penalties for conviction. It may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
May McKinney represents clients across Nashville and throughout the state who have been charged with aggravated assault. Various circumstances may lead to such charges, including:
- Bar fights
- Road rage
- Domestic violence
- Confrontations at sporting events
To discuss your case and how our attorneys can defend your interests, call (615) 265-6383.
Aggravated Assault Charges & Penalties in Tennessee
There are different types of aggravated assault charges with varying penalties, according to TCA § 39-13-102:
- Intentionally or knowingly committing an assault causing serious bodily injury or using/displaying a deadly weapon (Class C felony, punishable by 3 to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000).
- Recklessly committing an assault causing serious bodily injury or using/displaying a deadly weapon (Class D felony, punishable by 2 to 12 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000).
- Intentionally or knowingly failing or refusing to protect a child or dependent adult in one’s custody or care from aggravated assault (Class C felony, punishable by 3 to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000).
- Causing physical injury to any private or public transportation system employee who is acting in the line of duty (Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to 11 months and 29 days in jail,] and/or a fine of up to $2,500).
In addition to facing imprisonment and fines, one may face probation, mandatory anger management classes, mandatory victim restitution, and other penalties and collateral consequences of a conviction.
Contact Our Nashville Aggravated Assault Attorneys Today
If you are facing aggravated assault charges, do not lose hope. An experienced Nashville aggravated assault lawyer can work to minimize the potential negative consequences. Our Nashville aggravated assault defense lawyers at May McKinney have handled a wide range of cases of this kind. We have represented clients who were charged with aggravated assault involving sporting events, including professional and youth sports. We have helped people involved in bar fights or other altercations who are now facing serious criminal charges.
Regardless of the circumstance at hand, we can explain the law, the possible consequences of a conviction, and recommend an appropriate defense strategy. Contact our team today!
“Rob McKinney did an exceptional job! Not only did he get the best outcome possible for my case, he had skilled knowledge to answer ...”- Very Satisfied Client
“Best defense lawyer in the middle Tennessee area”- Daniel Himes
“I could not be more satisfied with the outcome McKinney Law produced.”- Jason B.